My son Tour - Morning Tour
During the 4th to 13th centuries there was a unique culture on the coast of contemporary Vietnam, owing its spiritual origins to the Hinduism of India. This is graphically illustrated by the remains of a series of impressive tower temples in a dramatic site that was the religious and political capital of the Champa Kingdom for most of its existence.
My Son Sanctuary dates from the 4th to the 13th centuries CE. The property is located in the mountainous border Duy Xuyen District of Quang Nam Province, in central Viet Nam. It is situated within an elevated geological basin surrounded by a ring of mountains, which provides the watershed for the sacred Thu Bon river. The source of the Thu Bon river is here and it flows past the monuments, out of the basin, and through the historic heartland of the Champa Kingdom, draining into the South China Sea at its mouth near the ancient port city of Hoi An. The location gives the sites its strategic significance as it is also easily defensible.
The tower temples were constructed over ten centuries of continuous development in what was the heart of the ancestral homeland of the ruling Dua Clan which unified the Cham clans and established the kingdom of Champapura (Sanskrit for City of the Cham people) in 192 CE. During the 4th to 13th centuries CE this unique culture, on the coast of contemporary Viet Nam, owed its spiritual origins to the Hinduism of the Indian sub-continent. Under this influence many temples were built to the Hindu divinities such as Krishna and Vishnu, but above all Shiva. Although Mahayan Buddhist penetrated the Cham culture, probably from the 4thcentury CE, and became strongly established in the north of the kingdom, Shivite Hinduism remained the established state religion.
The monuments of the My Son sanctuary are the most important constructions of the My Son civilization. The tower temples have a variety of architectural designs symbolizing the greatness and purity of Mount Meru, the mythical sacred mountain home of Hindu gods at the center of the universe, now symbolically reproduced on Earth in the mountainous homeland of the Cham people. They are constructed in fired brick with stone pillars and decorated with sandstone bas-reliefs depicting scenes from Hindu mythology. Their technological sophistication is evidence of Cham engineering skills while the elaborate iconography and symbolism of the tower-temples give insight into the content and evolution of Cham religious and political thought.
The My Son Sanctuary is a remarkable architectural ensemble that developed over a period of ten centuries. It presents a vivid picture of spiritual and political life in an important phase of the history of South-East Asia.
The monuments are unique and without equal in Southeast Asia.
- 8:00. Pick up at your hotel in Hoi An or Da Nang
- 9:00. Arrive to My Son and take the electric car with a short walk to the sites
- 9:30. Enjoy the Apsara Dance, traditional dance…and the longest whistle performed by a real Cham person.
- 9:30 - 11:00. Your guide will show you all temples & ruins and explain deeply the history of each one. You will learn more about Cham’ culture, history and architectural styles, especially the amazing techniques they used in building the ruins, which are still not completely understood. There continues to be question about their ability to produce tons of these brick, the firing of brick and mortar used between them as well as the decorative carving found on them.
- 12:15. Return to your hotel in Hoi An or Da Nang.
- Visit UNESCO World Heritage site with a knowledgeable tour guide
- Marvel at the Hindu remains of tower-temples decorated in bas-relief.
- Learn about the Champa Kingdom and the temples at My Son.
- Enjoy the beautiful view of valley surrounding by jungles
- Explore all temples built and rebuilt from 4th century to 13rd century
- Find out how the Cham people built the temples without using mortar
What You Can Expect
Depart from your hotel in Hoi An in the morning or afternoon, depending on which time you selected, and climb aboard a spacious, air-conditioned vehicle. Admire the lush scenery as you travel towards the atmospheric site of My Son Sanctuary and marvel at the picturesque position of the UNESCO World Heritage-listed site when you arrive at the entrance. Follow your guide into the ancient enclave and listen as the prosperous past of tower-temples and colossal structures is brought to life. Visualize the original wooden material of the restored monuments and gain insight into the foundations of the Hindu religion as you explore. See sandstone bas-reliefs that depict mythological scenes and see physical devotions to deities like Krishna, Vishnu and Shiva. After your enriching exploration of the site, head back to your Hoi An hotel where the tour concludes.
- Hotel pick up and drop off at your hotel
- Luxury car or minivan with experienced driver
- English-speaking guide,
- Cold bottled mineral water and wet tissue
- All Entrance fees
- Travel insurance
- Gratuity (optional but appreciated)
Tips to bring:
- Fully charged cameras
- Caps/hat or umbrellar
- Comfortable walking shoes or flip-flops
- Cool clothing
- Mosquito repellent spray
- If you are staying in Da Nang City and you want to book a round trip transfer from your hotel, it will cost an additional surcharge of 600.000 VND
- For any instant assistant, last minute bookings and larger bookings please call us or WhatsApp on : +84 905 440 249 (Hoang .Mr)
Tour price: in USD $ /per Pax
- Tour is private , and bigger group upon request. Minimum : 2 persons
- Children under 4: F.O.C; and from 5-11 half of the Adult price.
- Children rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults.
- In case of bad weather, tour will be cancelled. full refund if not done
- Although advance booking are preferred but last minute bookings are also welcome!